Checking out the Olympic cycling course
The Dutch Olympic Pre-selection
Olympics are knocking on the door. 27th July 2012 in London the biggest sports event of the world will start again. They are unique. Only ones every 4 years and the only event in the world that hosts all sports together. I know a lot off athletes that work for only one goal in their career, The Games.
For Holland also Olympics are important. And for us, the Dutch cycling women very important. We have a very big chance on the Gold Medal and so we focus a lot on this special race. To do this we went to see the course in London. In the weekend of 12-14 August 2011 there was a test event for the men pro racers. We took the opportunitie to go and see the course as all roads in the center of London were closed. It was a big pity that the organization was not cooperative at all. For them it seemed like the woman are not so important. And we got a lot of resistance to check out the course on Sunday before the pro man race. But we are Dutch and so we talked ourselves a long way.
- the women’s race is 14O km, the men’s 240 km
- the races start at The Mall in center London right before Buckingham Palace
- first the race cuts through parts of London as Kensington, Putney and Richmond Park.
- Half way the race enters Box hill. This will be the most important part of the race. An almost 3 km climb. Not very steep but hard enough to break up the bunch. The woman do this lap of 15,5 km with the climb on Zig Zag road twice, but the man 9 times. This will “kill” the sprinters!
- After the Boxhill laps, where the scenery is amazing, it is almost 40 km back to the finish at The mall passing Buckingham Palace again.
- The last 10 km is technical but wide open roads. The last km easy and slightly downhill. So if there are any sprinters left they will love this finish!
28th of July the man will do their race and the day after the woman. I hope I will be there to participate. It will be hard for me as The Netherlands has so many good riders. But our Ash will be there for sure!